Where to find the Orioles Site
448 Burnell Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2B4
View Google Map
The Orioles Site is one of the oldest community club sites in Winnipeg, with its doors first opening in 1948.
Like the other sites of Valour Community Centre, Orioles is dedicated to the community by working with and for the people in its catchment area.
The Orioles Site is currently receiving a large amount of much needed renovations in the amount of $155,000.00 which will give the facility a new bright look and feel and allow us to provide more new programmng to the 28,000 residents that live in Valour’s catchment area. We’re also in the process of securing more funding to fully renovate the gym to further expand our programming possibilities. Some of the current renovations include new washrooms, a new entrance way, new kitchen, a new MPR, a new common room and adjoining hallway, a new handi-cap access door at the rear of the building, and parking lot repairs. Our focus on the Orioles Site since the amalgamation has been to make this site our arts/cultural/drop-in facility and with the new programs coming this fall we’ll be on our way to achieving our goal.
Between 1934 and 1946 a hockey club known as the West End Orioles Athletic Association was operating four hockey teams, on property north of Canada Bread Co. This property was sold to Valour Road Legion in 1946 and the hockey club was told they must move. The City decided to keep the West End Orioles in operation, and moved the operation to a site south of Hignell Printing. They supplied two hockey buildings and erected boards.
After operating for two years (1948), Mr. Al Crockett, President of West End Orioles Ahtletic Association, was advised by the City Recreation Department, that his operation could not continue as a hockey club only, and must branch out, recognize and become a community club. At a later date the name was changed to Orioles Community Centre Ltd.
Twelve members of an organizing committee set up to investigate possibilities of forming a community club in the West End of Winnipeg. The proposed club would be open to residents of an area bounded by Sherbrook and Wall Streets and Wellington and Portage Avenues.
A second meeting was held. The meeting decided an executive should be elected and the first president of the Orioles Community Club put into office. Mr. Cecil Pratt was elected. The executive then decided they could not operate without money so a dance was organized to be held Halloween Night, 1948 at Minto Armouries.
The executive then decided to obtain a building and the present building (an “H” hut) which now faces Burnell Street, was purchased from Billinkoff’s Ltd. Negotiations with the City were started to move this building to the Greenway School rink site and put a basement under it. In 1950 another building was purchased from War Assets and was moved at a nominal fee, and again the City was requested to put a foundation under this building and they granted this request. in 1963 the south end of the Burnell Street building was extended and the lounge was built.
In later years (1971-1972) another hockey rink south of Hignell Printing was put into the operation and the playground building winterized. Hard-top was put in the South Rink and an area south of the buildings, this area is used for tennis, volleyball, basketball and parking during the summer.
It’s back! Our 3rd Annual Little Bit of Everything Sale has just that: a little bit of everything! We are hosting it this year at our Orioles site on Burnell! Tables still available!
Check out what Valour Community Centre is all about at our Annual General Meeting, Open House and BBQ! We are show casing the newly renovated Orioles Gym! Want to make a difference in your community centre? Why not become a member of the Board of Directors? If that seems too intimidating for you, still come check us out and see how you can volunteer in other ways. We are always looking for new faces to help with our programs. Hope … Continue reading